Wednesday, August 4, 2010

MADE IT TO ECUADOR! BLOG UPDATE BY; Aaron Zapata

Bienvenidos from ECUADOR!

We spent a very long day traveling yesterday! We left Normal Illinois at about 7:30 am and did not make it to Quito Ecuador until 11:30 pm! We made it to our hotel at 1 am and did not fall asleep until almost 2 am (Thanks Jared haha) We had to wake up at 6 this morning to catch a bus for our four hour drive to Riobamba today. We arrived safely and we loaded up our apartment for the week with all of our belongings. Then we loaded back on the bus to head to the Orphanage. Now that I am finished explaining the travels, let me share with you all about what God is already doing in the heart of myself, and all my fellow team members...

God answered my prayers about safe traveling. I had to learn that safe travels doesnt always mean I wont be afraid while traveling, it just means that God will get me there in one piece! The plane rides were long, but we made it to our destination all together and in one piece and that my friends deserves a PRAISE THE LORD! :)

It wasnt real to me that we were actually leaving for Ecuador until we boarded our plane from Miami to Quito Ecuador. I remember I was walking on the plane and everything around me was already different. Emotions and many thought filled my mind until at one point I had to bow my head and lift my heart to Him, the Almighty Comforter. I prayed that I could find peace in Him and in knowing that He is in control, not me, not the pilots, not Satan, ONLY HIM! After I said Amen, I was able to breathe better and "see" better. I was exhausted (as were all my team-mates) and upon reaching customs, I had already began to try and grasp control. I needed to run to the restroom after we finally exited the security in Ecuador, and it was at that point that I realized where I was. I am in Ecuador. Not for a vacation, not for sightseeing, not for trying to mark this off my "christian check list", but to be the hands and feet of Jesus Christ to the people of this country. I realized I had been so afraid of my new surroundings that I was smiling less, being grouchy, talking less, and I knew that this in no way was being Jesus to these people so I lifted my head and walked through the airport and loaded our bus.

So you may be wondering what God could teach me in only one day? Well God has taught me alot today, but God has taught me the most over the last 4 months that has a boiled down to today. TRUST HIM! It is so easy to say that we trust God, but putting that into practice is a different hurdle we have to jump. I was scared that I didnt have time to go to Ecuador this summer and God answered. I was afraid I wouldnt raise enough money...and God again answered. I was afraid of the language barrier, and...well...God IS answering. Spanish words I did not know that I knew are flowing from my lips to help get us where we need to go and speak words of love to these people. God is my trust. I am learning....and each and everyday being stretched to trust him more. My prayer tonight as we prepare to work closley with the children at the ARK tomorrow is that I will TRUST God with everything in me. I know that if I trust Him and not myself, I can truly be the hands and feet of Jesus.

Tomorrow is a new day. Tonight we ordered pizza and will spend the rest of the evening getting our Vacation Bible Materials ready for the children tomorrow. Please pray for rest, as we ALL need it.

Also, remember, just because you are not physically here in Ecuador with us, God has put you on a mission field right where you are. I challenge each and every person that reads this blog to go out and LOVE all you come into contact with. We are in Ecuador because God has placed us here the next few days, but God also has something planned for you!

Until the Whole World Hears,

Aaron J. Zapata

8 comments:

  1. Praise the Lord for all your answered prayers. Back here we were trusting all was well with the group while waiting for this post. Thanks for taking time to send this. Trusting God will work through each one of you in Riobamba. Hope you all sleep well tonight.

    ps cubbie fans the cubs beat the brewers 15-3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Aaron! So glad you were able to trust Him. Looking forward to all that He will do here and THERE in the next week : ) Wish I could be there with you all... know I am in spirit, though! All our prayers and love, Marianne and the rest of the Gross gang

    ReplyDelete
  3. God is always faithful!! Loved your post Aaron! Looking forward to hearing more from the group, and seeing how God is using each of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! Praise God for what He's teaching you ALREADY!

    Tell everyone hi.

    Normal God-lover

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are so happy that everyone made it safe and sound.Praise God!!! We are all praying for the groups ministry from New Mexico. Continue to keep faith in God!!! He knows exactly your purpose in Ecuador. It will come through the children happiness that shine from their faces =). We love and miss you!!! Hope to hear the Good News that everyone is spreading in HIS name.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for seeing God work before your very eyes. Fatigue will open your heart more. Be ye cooked Spaghetti! Fit into any bowl (culture). You are blessed and will be blessed. Jim and Sherri Bertolet

    ReplyDelete
  8. Praying He empowers you to trust Him more and more, that He gives you strength and courage, and that He shines through you as you minister to those He has given you. He WILL fullfill His purpose for you!
    love,
    Jim and Becky H

    ReplyDelete